Just five days ago, Zimbabwean UFC fighter Themba Gorimbo was defiant.
By Advent Shoko
After three consecutive defeats inside the octagon, the welterweight publicly declared that quitting was not an option. Critics would talk, he said, but only he would decide when his fighting journey ended.
Now, in a dramatic and emotional U-turn, Gorimbo has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.
The 35-year-old revealed on Thursday that he is officially stepping away from MMA competition, saying he had accepted that his dream of becoming a UFC champion would not become reality.
“Thank you to UFC and everyone. I dared to be someone and something and failed,” Gorimbo wrote in a deeply personal statement shared on social media.
“Gave all I can in the sport and I am walking away from the sport.
“My dream is to be a UFC champion and if I cannot be that I am going to walk away from the sport.”
For many fans, the announcement landed like a punch few saw coming.
Only on 17 May, Gorimbo had posted an emotional message insisting he would continue fighting despite suffering three straight UFC losses.
“Imagine losing not one, not two but three in a row,” he wrote at the time.
“They will call you all kinds of names. It’s my duty to keep going. It’s my decision to stop.
“Can’t let anyone that wasn’t there when you started tell you when to stop.”
That message triggered an outpouring of support across the MMA community, with many backing the Zimbabwean to rebuild his career after a difficult run.
Instead, the fighter now says the battle is over.
“It’s not easy but I’ve tried,” Gorimbo added.
“Maybe I will make a comeback as a coach or manager someday but for now the focus will be my family.
“I am officially retired from MMA as an athlete.”
The retirement closes a chapter that once looked destined for a very different ending.
At one stage, Gorimbo appeared to be emerging as one of Africa’s most inspiring UFC success stories. His rise from poverty in Zimbabwe to fighting on the world’s biggest MMA stage made him a fan favourite far beyond Southern Africa.
Inside the cage, he had begun building real momentum.
Victories over Takashi Sato, Pete Rodriguez, Ramiz Brahimaj and veteran fighter Niko Price pushed him closer to serious conversations around the UFC welterweight rankings.

But momentum in mixed martial arts can disappear brutally fast.
The downturn began at UFC 310 in December 2024 when Brazilian veteran Vicente Luque submitted him via anaconda choke just 52 seconds into the opening round.
The defeat was followed by another loss to Jeremiah Wells before Gorimbo suffered a split-decision defeat earlier this month against Australian fighter Jonathan Micallef in Perth.
Three losses in a row had suddenly transformed a rising contender into a fighter battling uncertainty, pressure and questions over his future.

Yet throughout the difficult run, Gorimbo continued presenting himself as someone unwilling to surrender.
Earlier this month, he reflected on how adversity had shaped some of MMA’s biggest stars.
“MMA is a beautiful sport where losses don’t really define you like boxing,” he wrote.
“Biggest stars in MMA are those who failed and made the biggest turnover of that page. Charles Oliveira, Conor McGregor to mention a few.”
That is why Thursday’s announcement felt so unexpected.
For Zimbabwean sports fans especially, Gorimbo represented more than wins and losses inside the octagon. He symbolised resilience, survival and the possibility of reaching elite global platforms despite difficult beginnings.
His journey from hardship to the UFC earned admiration across Africa and made him one of Zimbabwe’s most recognisable international athletes.
Now, at least for the moment, that journey appears to be over.
In another emotional reflection shared after announcing his retirement, Gorimbo suggested the decision came from a place of deep personal acceptance rather than frustration alone.
“Every story has a goodbye.
Every chapter closes.
I believe mine is over as an athlete.
Maybe one day things change.
I once retired before at age 27 and came back after a year and eight months.
I went on to become a champion.
Only difference here is the level I was fighting at.
My last fight I trained very hard.
Was focused and still lost.
I didn’t feel as strong or as fast as my opponent.
This used to be my advantage.
That night in Perth I didn’t feel that.
I will continue to write my story.
On to the next page,” he wrote.
Whether the retirement becomes permanent remains unclear. MMA has seen many emotional retirements reversed after time away from the sport.
But Gorimbo’s words suggested a fighter who has reached a deeply personal point of acceptance after years of physical and mental sacrifice.
For now, the man who once vowed to keep fighting says his focus has shifted away from titles, rankings and redemption.
The octagon gave Themba Gorimbo global recognition, painful setbacks and unforgettable moments.
But after years spent chasing the UFC dream, he says the next fight will be for peace, family and life beyond MMA.

Leave a Reply